top of page

Match Day 11-16 and 17 July

Updated: Jul 18, 2022

It was a perfect weekend for footy and all Tigers were relieved to get on the field again. The Saturday games were a real treat with only a single try separating each of the U6, U7 and U8 games and the U12 Bronze team played their best game of the season in defeating the second place Crocs 28-6. The U12 Silver team also turned in their best performance in defeating the Gorillas 16-10 in a hard fought game.

Thanks to De La Salle, Bosco, Gymea and Sutherland for hosting us on Saturday.

U6 Green Tigers 52 De La Salle 48

The U6's turned in another fantastic performance in their 52-48 win against De La Salle, in freezing conditions. The team is gelling well and each players belief and confidence is growing every week Jake McMillan and Robert Couley top scored for the Tigers with five tries each and Ollie Trevillian (2) and Daniel Romyn (1) also chipped in with the scoring. Josh Dart is becoming known as the enforcer with his palm off and never back down attitude and Conor Lehane, Cadem MacPherson and Hendrix Austin are causing mischief for the opposition with their strong running and tackling.

The U6's are playing good footy, running straight and passing the ball if someone is in a better position. Layken Koprivic and Ollie Trevillian made some important tackles to stop tries and Jake McMillan, Robert Couley and Daniel Romyn troubled the De La Salle defence every time they got the ball. Another win for the U6's but more importantly the team is playing with enthusiasm and lot's of smiles.

Player of the Game: Robert Couley

Tigers Spirit Award: Daniel Romyn

U7 Green Tigers 44 Gymea Gorillas 48

The Tigers scored in the first play with a try to Caleb Dawson and after that the opening minutes became much tighter with both teams attacking each other but unable to get across the try line. The Gorillas did score to level up the scores but the Tigers scored straight after with a try to Jack Jones. Caleb Dawson then got his second to take the Tigers out to a 12-4 lead. The Gorillas got another one back before a great run by Harrison Payne nearly go the Tigers further ahead only for the Gorillas to knock the ball out of his hands and save a certain try. Just before the end of the quarter the Gorillas levelled the scores with a good try in the corner.

In the second quarter some good runs by Jack Jones and Hendrix Malachi created space for Caleb Dawson who ran across the width the field twice looking for an opening and then burst through the middle to score and put the Tigers 16-12 ahead. The Gorillas levelled up soon after before Caleb Dawson scored his third and keep the Tigers ahead 20-16. The Gorillas scored again to get level and Jake McMillan was beginning to assert himself and came close to scoring. In the third quarter both teams exchanged tries and for the Tigers, Caleb Dawson, Hendrix Malachi and Harrison Payne got the Tigers out to a 44-36 lead.

In the fourth quarter the Gorillas scored first and got a second soon after. The Tigers were trying but were just unable to score on their sets. The Gorilla's got the scores level with another try before a good run by Harrison Payne nearly got the Tigers in front again. Both teams were looking for the winner and a desperate tackle by Caleb Dawson prevented a certain winning try to the Gorillas. However in the next play, a Gorillas player spotted a gap and dived across to score in the final second. This was a hugely entertaining game and the U7's can take heart as they were missing several players and came close to yet another win.

Thanks to Josh Dart and Jake McMillan for playing up from the U6's today, you held your own against the bigger boys and played an important game for the team.

Player of the Game: Hendrix Malachi

Tigers Spirit Award: Arlo Gibbons

U8 Green Tigers 28 Engadine Dragons 30

A heartbreaking 30-28 loss to the U8's kept that first victory at bay for another week. This was a nail biting game throughout with both teams looking to score at every opportunity. The Dragons scored first before Aston Gibbons got the Tigers on the board with a good solo try. Aston tried to get on the outside of the defence on the left wing, before cutting back in to the centre and scoring under the post. On the next set the Dragons should have gone ahead but they didn't ground the ball in the end goal. The Tigers went straight up the field with a great run by Zac May, who was tackled just short of the line before a dropped ball gave possession back to the Dragons who scored on the next play and go out to an 8-6 lead.

In the second quarter the Dragons scored again to take a 12-6 lead and the Tigers went straight on the attack again with strong runs by Max Horne and then Levi Horne before Malachi Kane saw a gap and tried to score in the corner but was tackled out of play. Some good defence by the Tigers got the ball back and Aston Gibbons had a mazy run and though he had scored, only for the referee to call held-up. On the next play the ball went out to Levi Horne who scored an easy try in the corner and get the score back to 12-10. On the next play strong defence by Levi Horne and Hayden Walker put the Dragons under pressure before a crunching tackle by Joey Rodriguez forced an error and the Tigers won the ball back. On the next play the field opened up for Zac May who used his speed to make a break, the ball was then fed to Max Horne who was able to get around the defence and score to make the score 14-12 in favour of the Tigers at halftime.

The third quarter got unders with some impressive defence from the Tigers in particular Charlotte Dart, however they were unable to keep the Dragons out completely and they scored to take a 16-14 lead. From the Tigers set Levi Horne cut through the Dragons defence and scorte under the posts to give the Tigers an 18-16 lead. This was the fifth lead change so far in what was proving to be a tight, entertaining game. A great try to Aston Gibbons got the Tigers out to a 22-16 lead and the team was beginning to show some real belief. At the end of the third quarter the Dragons tied the scores up at 22-22 and it was all to play for in the final quarter. It was very tight in the early minutes of the fourth quarter but the Dragons managed to create some space and take a 26-22 lead. Then some good play by Aston Gibbons got the Tigers back in front 28-26 before the Dragons scored again to go 30-28 in front and despite the Tigers best efforts in the final seconds they were unable to score.

What a fantastic effort by the team and what a fantastic game with both teams having many highlights throughout the game.

Player of the Game: Hayden Walker

Tigers Spirit Award: Hudson Palmervale

U12 Bronze Tigers 28 Como Crocs 6

In perfect conditions the Tigers received the ball and went forward through Lucius Viteri. Another run by Leo got the ball out to Bede Staniforth who ran from the halfway line to score under the posts. He converted too to give the Tigers an early 6-0 lead. Some strong tackles by Cooper Nunn and Hunter Loveday kept Como at bay and the Tigers worked it off their line to the Como 40 metre line.

A kick by Como was gathered superbly by Lewis Amesbury in the in goal and he ran to the halfway to relieve pressure. Como were working their way into the game and got close but dropped the ball before the try line. In the next set Zane Shoblom had a good run and Levi Dawson forced a penalty for a head high tackle. More pressure from Como had the Tigers camped on their defensive line but another dropped ball gave the Tigers possession and the score remained 6-0 at half time.

In the early stages of the second half Como knocked on giving the Tigers good field position. Lewis Amesbury made a good run and a great switch run involving Levi Dawson and Bede Staniforth got the Tigers close. A great play involving Zane Shoblom, Levi Dawson and Lewis Amesbury got the ball to Bede Staniforth who made a mazy run through the Como defence to score and Levi Dawson converted to put the Tigers out to a 12-0 lead. A great tackle by Liam Good followed by a steal by Jensen Bunyan stopped another Como attack on the try line and in the following set the ball was worked to Bede Staniforth who ran 80 metres to score a wonderful try and put the Tigers out to an 18-0 lead. Como were eventually awarded for their pressure with a good try to get the score back to 18-6.

From the kick off the Tigers progressed through gaps in the defence and this created space for Lewis Amesbury to score in the corner and give the Tigers a 24-6 lead with a couple of minutes to play. In the final seconds a speculative kick from Levi Dawson bounced kindly for Hunter Loveday who gathered the ball superbly and outpaced the defence to score in corner after the siren. This try capped off an impressive performance by the Tigers who were pushed for long periods by Como. The Tigers defended well, held their nerve and were able to break through at key moments. The 28-6 victory will the team bags of confidence for the remainder of the season and will convince them that they can play against the bigger teams and come out on top.

Bailey Mason and Pat Graham both left the game with injuries and we wish them a full recovery.

Player of the Game: Bede Staniforth

U12 Silver Tigers 16 Gymea Gorillas 10

If the Bronze teams performance was impressive the Silver team turned on an exceptional display against the top of the table Gorillas. The Tigers kicked off and a couple of strong tackles by Hudson Wilcox set out the Tigers intent early. Some good play by the Tigers saw them advance into the Gorillas half but the attack fizzled out. Another great tackle by Hudson Wilcox stopped a quick breakaway on the blindside. On the next Tigers attack Hudson Wilcox spotted a gap and made a great break to the 10 metre line and a couple of attacks saw Billy Dunn get held up on the line. In the next play Ethan Coleman put a kick into the end goal and the bounce favored the Tigers seeing Billy McDonald score to put the Tigers 6-0 up.

Good tackles by Zar Mackenzie and Billy Dunn stopped the Gorillas going forward and the Tigers were defending close to their line without making many metres. Great Tigers defence saw them getting on top in the final minutes of the first half and a great kick from Billy Dunn saw Como pinned back in their in goal. The Tigers attacked relentlessly in the final minutes and had the Gorillas under pressure but unable to score. In a close game the Tigers take a 6-0 lead into halftime.

A miskick from the kick off saw Hudson Wilcox make a break to get the Tigers going forward. A couple of chances saw the Tigers go close but were just unable to convert. Some great defence by Ethan Coleman with a couple of strong tackles gave the ball to the Tigers on the halfway and then some quick ball to the left wing saw Levi Dawson get into space and score close to the posts and extend the Tigers lead to 12-0. The Gorillas managed to hold the Tigers in their in goal and from the kick the Gorillas scored on the last tackle to get the score back to 12-4.

The Gorillas scored again to get the score back to 12-10 and set the game up for a fantastic finish with 7 minutes remaining. The Tigers were on the attack and a couple of penalties got the Tigers in good position. A swift attack on the right saw the ball go through hands before Zac Porter got the ball to Billy McDonald to give the tigers a 16-10 lead with minutes to play. The Gorillas tried to advance the ball but the Tigers defence was just too strong and they held out the Gorillas in the final minutes.

This was a fantastic performance by the Tigers beating a strong, physical team who have had the wood on them in recent games. It was a deserved win and the whole team contributed to the final result with strong defence and a never say die attitude.

Player of the Game: Billy McDonald

U15 Silver Tigers 6 Kingsgrove Colts 22

A crucial game for the Tigers in bright but windy conditions at Riverwood. The Colts kicked off and an early mistake in the play the ball gave possession back to the Colts. In their first set the Colts scored from a kick into the end goal to take a 4-0 lead. From the kick off the Tigers regained possession and despite several attempts were unable to get across the line. The Colts forced a break but a strong tackle by Alex Moussa stopped a certain try. A one on one strip by Albie Lamaro got the ball back for the Tigers but another mistake in the ruck gave the ball back to the Colts. Some good Tigers defence forced an error and the Tigers looked to get some control by getting through a full set.

Strong tackles by Tommy Robinson and Kade Bergman held the Colts on the next set before a bomb gave the ball back to the Colts. On the next set they scored again through their big forwards barging over, close to the line, Colts lead 8-0. The wind was having quite an impact with both teams struggling to get any cohesion. A good period for the Tigers saw Luke Fenton score under the posts to get the Tigers back to 8-6. More good play from the Tigers put them close to the Colts line but the half time siren beat them to a score.

The Tigers kicked off into the wind in the second half. The Tigers held firm and started on their own 30 metre line. The Colts were attacking but the Tigers defence was holding firm and forcing mistakes. The Tigers were kicking early into the wind and forcing the Colts to turn around at every opportunity. This tactic was working and tiring out the Colts defence, who struggling to get back onside. However, against the run of play the Colts attacked the left side and scored in the corner to take a 12-6 lead.

The try gave the Colts confidence and they lifted and started to play with far more energy. You could feel the game turning and some sloppy play from both sides saw the game become a bit stop start, until the Colts got to the Tigers goal line and their big forwards barged over once again and go out to an 18-6 lead. The Colts continued to have the run of the play and scored again through a run in the middle, to stretch the lead to 16 points and win the game 22-6.

Unfortunately the U15's were unable to do what the 12's did the day before, despite being on top at various stages of the game. The Tigers had too many handling errors in the latter part of the game and this let the Colts get on top. Four more games to make Finals-Go Tigers.

Player of the Game: Tommy Robinson

U18 Merged Tigers/Crocs Renown-No Score Yet

Check out the galleries below and thanks to our sponsors for bringing you this weeks games.

95 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page